Bible Verse: “One thing I asked of the LORD, that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.” (Psalm 27:4)
Scripture Reading: Psalm 27:1-14
Take a moment and examine the pursuits of your heart. What calls for your attention? What motivates you? What fires your affections? Do your passions lean towards the temporal or the eternal?
- How much time do you spend with your smartphone? Do you control it or does it control you?
- How much time do you spend entertaining yourself with internet, video games, sports, hobbies, TV and movies?
- How much affection do you invest towards money, possessions, and sex?
- What causes your heart to truly be filled with affection? Shopping? Golf? Vacation? Be honest.
- How much mental energy do you expend planning your next material purchase?
Here’s the bottom line: pursuit of the temporal pours water on our fires for Christ, but eternal pursuits stoke our fires for Christ. The most dangerous part of pursuing idolatry of the world is that in the end we become what we worship. I’ll say it again: we become what we worship. Scary!
What honest assessment do I need to make of what has the gaze of my life today?
— Robbie Symons, founding pastor, Harvest Bible Church in Oakville, ON
Copyright © 2019 Promise Keepers Canada. All rights reserved.